ACTIVITIES AND PROJECTS
Dorset Race Equality Council is involved in various activities and projects to promote equality, diversity and inclusion in Dorset. We have been successful in obtaining funding to carry out projects in line with our organisation’s aim to achieve equality and diversity. Working in partnership and cooperation with other organisations has been crucial to achieve.
– Dorset One World Festival: Yearly multi-cultural family festival taking place in Dorchester to celebrate the diversity of Dorset through food, music and arts.
– Building Better Opportunities: Big Lottery Fund matched funds from the European Social Fund (ESF) 2014-2020 to invest in local projects tackling the root causes of poverty, promoting social inclusion and driving local jobs and growth. We are currently involved in 2 projects under this funding
- One project is called Face Forward and is led by Ansbury to support young people who find it difficult to engage in any activities. We provide the support in terms of Equality and Diversity
- The other project is led by Dorset Community Action and is a partnership that has the capacity to support unemployed people across Dorset, using community enterprise to address the barriers many people face to get into training or work. The team provides an accessible, community based, test and learn approach, using community enterprise to build confidence and longer term change.
– Healthwatch Dorset: Healthwatch gives people a powerful voice locally and nationally and works to help local people get the best out of their local health and social care services. We ensure that the voice of people with various protected characteristics are heard and taken into consideration.
– Equality and Diversity Forums: They offer a platform to discuss topical issues relating to groups with various protected characteristics and facilitate partnership working to advance equality and Diversity in Bournemouth, Dorset and Poole.
– Consultation groups: we currently run 2 consultation groups on behalf of Dorset Police:
- BME Consultation group which is a strategic group in which people from various ethnic backgrounds comment on Dorset Police policies and/or activities.
- Muslim contact group is a quarterly meeting with the Muslim communities to discuss issues affecting this community.
We also run consultation events on behalf of the Dorset Clinical Commissioning Group as and when relevant.