Who we are, What we do
Dorset Race Equality Council (Dorset REC) is a registered charity (No: 1104642) and a company limited by guarantee (No: 5018604). It is an independent and impartial membership body.
We inform and educate regarding race/ethnic relations to:
- Eliminate and counter misunderstanding and negative political propaganda.
- Raise awareness of race/ethnic equality issues with both public sector organisations and private businesses.
- Challenge prejudice and disadvantage and promote the importance of a diverse society.
- Inform minority ethnic individuals of their rights.
- Strengthen community relations in Dorset.
- Work with partner organisations to influence policy and combat racial discrimination and racial violence.
- Uphold both the letter and the spirit of UK and EU law.
Our vision is one of strong, safe and sustainable communities in Dorset in which diversity is valued and people of all races / ethnicities have equal opportunities and live free from discrimination.
Our mission is supporting individuals, communities and institutions in challenging racism, celebrating diversity and promoting equality of opportunity for all in Bournemouth, Poole and Dorset.
- Ensure that ethnic minority individuals and communities in Dorset feel empowered to challenge racism and discrimination and have access to support and information
- Promote the celebration of ethnic, cultural and religious diversity in Dorset society and strengthen local ethnic minority organisations
- Work towards making public, private and voluntary sector agencies in Dorset fully representative of, and responsive to, the ethnic, cultural and religious diversity of the population; offering equal opportunities and equal access to all